Tuesday 13 September 2016

How I Clean Our Family Bathroom

If you follow me on Twitter, you've probably seen I tweet quite a lot about housework. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. One particular place in the house I love to clean is the bathroom. It sounds quite weird, but there's just something about a lovely clean bathroom. Especially when it's the only bathroom in the house.

It's used by us, the kids, guests... anyone who comes over will probably use the bathroom at least once. Where it's positioned in the house, it often gets used as a mudroom and it's the first thing people see when coming in.

This means I try to keep it as clean as possible. We're not bothered by the specs of mud on the floor or small piles of straw that occur after B gets home from work, but others who don't work on farms probably don't want to feel straw under their feet or in their shoes. It also needs to be kept as clean as possible because the children use it too.

Getting back the point. By now I'm pretty confident I do a good job and get things as clean as I can. I'm not suggesting you should forget how you clean your bathroom, and immidiately take up my way of cleaning. However, it works for me and I thought it might help someone else perfect thir cleaning routine.

I will say this now, sorry if the pictures aren't quite up to standard! I'm still getting to grips with my camera - I'm absolutely useless with it. If anyone knows of any good articles on how to use Cannon DSLR cameras please tweet them to me or leave me the link!

Cleaning the Family bathroom


First of all, I go straight in and bleach the toilet bowl. We have pretty hard water round here, and it had been left to build up inside the toilet before moving in. Using thick bleach has been one of the only ways I've been able to even make a dent into the cal.



I then turn the shower on. I wet the walls of the shower, and then use Flash Bleach cleaner – I use this because I managed to stain our shower floor and walls with pink paint while decorating my step-daughters room! It's not necessary, as I only use it for that purpose and not to actually clean the shower, so don't feel you need to.

After I have scrubbed all that down with the brush in the top photo – I only use that brush for cleaning the sink and shower – I clean the sink. Sometimes I use the Flash Bleach, and others I just use a normal bathroom cleaner or even tile and grout cleaner. It depends on what's in my cleaning supplies cupboard.



Follow the instructions on all the products you use, I rinse and dry everything after using product on it but I know you can get some that do not need to me rinsed – like Detol, etc.

After the sink is done and the soap dish and soap dispenser are also clean and put back in their place, I rinse the shower. After it's all rinsed and given a quick scrub again, I spray Shower Cleaner from Power Force – from Aldi – and leave that to work.

I then dust everything. I dust the shelves and anything on them, I dust the little table that we keep bits and bobs on, and the windowsill. I also dust the lip of wood panelling we have around the bathroom, and the radiator.





Last but not least, once everything else is clean and I wont be using or touching anything else in the bathroom, I clean the toilet. I prefer to do this after I've done everything else simply because being in the bathroom for so long makes me think I need to go to the loo and I don't like using the toilet literally seconds after I've cleaned it. It just gives me – or anyone else -the chance to use it if I need to.

I then pick up anything big from the floor and sweep. One of B's few jobs – housework wise – is to steam the floors in the bathroom and kitchen so that gets left to him. This is mainly his job because I have absolutely no idea how on earth to use that bloody steamer. I've tried it, and managed to just made the floor wet.

I normally take about half an hour if I'm quick, but I do tend to get distracted and take about an hour. That or it's just a lazy day and I'm cleaning simply because I have to.

Do you have a routine to cleaning your bathroom? Or any favourite cleaning products in general? Comment down below!

Thanks for reading,

B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment